Make your own free website on
What We Do.
Croydon Services.
About Us.

Acts of Parliament & Disabled Facilities Grant


The following are some of the major points included in Acts of Parliament which relate to disability access and care.


The Children’s Act 1989


The Act enshrined the importance of the child being paramount, and under Section 17 of Part III it gives local authorities a duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. A child with a disability or a child with a parent who is chronically sick or disabled is included in the definition of a ‘child in need’.


Community Care Act 1990


This Act brought about huge changes in helping people who needed care and support to live in the community with dignity and independence.


Carers Act 1995


This Act recognised the rights of carers but relied upon the service user being assessed. Services were not necessarily offered to a carer. It assessed the carer’s ability to continue to provide care.


Carers and Disabled Children’s Act 2000


This Act recognised the right of a carer to an Independent Carers Assessment and considered the possibility of a carer’s need for services.


Disabled Facilities Grant (Statutory Instrument) 2002


If you or someone you care for and who lives in your property is disabled you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant towards the cost of alterations and adaptations to enable the person to remain in their home and be cared for. Grants are given by the local authority under Part I of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act. It is advisable to seek advice from a qualified person in relation to the work that will need to be carried out.


Disability Discrimination Act 1996-2004


The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA includes parts I, II and III) and its implementation covers the period from 1996 – 2004. The Act aims to end the discrimination faced by many disabled people. It gives rights to people with disabilities in employment, access to goods and services and allows the government to set minimum standards so that people can use public transport easily.


In part III, service providers may have to consider making permanent physical adjustments to their premises.


Human Rights Act 1998


This act stated that everyone’s right to life shall be protected by law. No one shall be deprived of his/her life intentionally. Included under Article 14 is the Prohibition of Discrimination, stating that the enjoyment of the rights and freedoms set forth in this Convention shall be secured without discrimination on any ground such as sex, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, property, birth or other status.


Several websites give more information about these Acts and Grants:


Or you can write to:

The Stationery Office, PO Box 276, London SW8 5DT


0870 600 5522



Back to Contents Page






Advocacy is about being able to speak out about the things that matter to us and having the support that we need to ensure that we are listened to. It is about having choice and control over our lives.


Advocacy Partners is a leading independent organisation which has been providing services to people with disabilities in south west London and Surrey since 1981. It recruits, trains and supports volunteer advocates as well as employing staff, to provide independent representation and to enable people to participate more fully in the community.


For more information contact (between 9am-5pm):


Advocacy Partners in Croydon, c/o Heavers Farm Day Centre, 122-124 Selhurst Road SE25 6LL

020 8771 6296




Advocacy Partners, McMillan House, 54 Cheam Common Road, Worcester Park, Surrey KT4 8RH

020 8330 6644


Self Advocacy Groups


First Friday is a self advocacy group that meets every two months at Heavers Farm Day Centre,122-124 Selhurst Road, SE25 6LL.


They discuss subjects suggested by members of the group and sometimes have speakers.

If you are interested in joining the group, phone one of the following contacts:


Wayne Bayliss020 8655 3484

Sedley Wilson020 8771 0325

Susan Kabia Smith020 8684 0831

Paul Welch020 8764 8822


Croydon People First is a self advocacy group run by and for adults with learning difficulties. They meet once a month at Cornerstone House, Willis Road, Croydon and new members are very welcome.They discuss issues of concern to their members and sometimes have guest speakers.


Chair:Tim James

Project Manager: Geraldine O’Shea


Contact details:

Croydon People First, St Oswald’s Parish Hall, St Oswald’s Road, Norbury SW16 3SB

Tel: 020 8679 5809



See Local Support Groups for other organisations who may also offer an advocacy service.


Back to Contents Page



Benefits & Welfare


To qualify for most Disability Benefits you must satisfy the rules about residence and presence in Great Britain. This generally means that you have been ‘present and ordinarily resident’ in Great Britain for not less than 26 weeks of the last 52 weeks. This is a continuing test. It applies to any day for which you are claiming benefit.



Disability Living Allowance (DLA)


You can claim this Benefit from the age of three months until 65 years. To qualify for DLA you need to prove that you have had the disability for at least three months. There are two elements to DLA: the care component (high, middle and low) and the mobility component(high and low).


If the child has reached 3 years of age and has already qualified for high rate care, you can apply for high rate mobility. If not, you will need to wait until the child is 5 years old to apply for the high or low rate. DLA is not means tested. It is paid regardless of any other income or savings and is not taxable.


Carers Allowance


This is payable to people who care for a minimum of 35 hours per week. The person you care for must be receiving either the DLA middle or high rate component of care, or the Attendance Allowance (see below). You can earn up to £79 a week (2004-2005) without the benefit being affected. You cannot claim this allowance if you are in full-time education, ie attending a course for more than 21 hours per week.


If you are over 65 you can claim the allowance, but as it overlaps with the state pension, only the higher of the two will be paid. The Carers Allowance is counted as income and is taxable.


It is advisable to contact the Benefits Helpline for more advice:


0800 882200


Attendance Allowance


If you are ill or severely disabled you can claim this Benefit if you are 65 years and over. It can help you to pay for the extra costs that you incur in looking after yourself.


The allowance comes in two rates: high and low, depending on the level of care support that you need. Mobility is not taken into account for Attendance Allowance. It is not a means tested Benefit and is paid regardless of any savings or other income you may receive. It is not taxable.


Special Rules


If you have a terminal illness you can apply for Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance under Special Rules.


You will need to have a Doctor’s certificate (DS1500) to confirm your condition and your claim will be dealt with quickly, ie within two weeks.


Carer Premium


This is an extra income which is included in the calculations to make up Income Support.


Incapacity Benefit


This Benefit is paid to you if you have a disability or an illness which prevents you from working. There are two types of Incapacity Benefit: contributory and non-contributory.


If you have paid sufficient National Insurance contributions for 3 years prior to your claim, this is classed as contributory.


Non-contributory incapacity benefit can be paid to young people under 20 (or in some cases 25) who are incapable of working and who claim no later than the day before their 20th birthday. These people are eligible for incapacity benefit without the need for National Insurance contributions.


If you have any queries of a general nature regarding your benefits, or if you want to find out what benefits you are entitled to, you can call the National Benefits Helpline free on:


0800 882200(Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm)


To find out how your claim is progressing, or which date an Appeal has been set for, you can call:


0845 7123456


If you live in certain areas within the London Borough of Croydon, you may be able to get help from the Croydon Benefits Helpline:


0800 731 5920Mondays, 2 – 7pm

Wednesdays, 11am – 2 pm

Fridays, 9am – 12 noon


Croydon Mencap provides a comprehensive benefit and welfare advice service, including home visits and attendance at Appeal Tribunals.


Contact Terry Aylen, the Family Services Co-ordinator, for help with Council Tax Rebates, Disability Living Allowance, Income Support, Incapacity Benefit, Carer Allowance and the Blue Badge Scheme.


020 8662 9201



Council Tax Discounts


There are three types of discount and rebate:


·Discounts for certain households (single occupancy, status disregard)


·Reductions for properties occupied by someone with a disability (disabled relief)


·Rebates for people on a low income (council tax benefit)





If there are fewer than two people living in a property, there is a discount of 25% if someone lives alone and 50% if the property is empty. Certain people are considered invisible when calculating how many people live in a property.


For example, carers are ‘invisible’ if they are living with and caring for a disabled person who is not their spouse, co-habitee or child under 18. The disabled person must receive the higher rate of Attendance Allowance or DLA care component and the carer must be providing an average of at least 35 hours a week of care. More than one person can be classed as a carer, and they don’t have to be receiving Carers Allowance.





Reductions may be available if a property has been externally adapted or if someone needs an extra room because of their disability (for example if a downstairs room has been converted into a bedroom or an additional bathroom). In this case the Council Tax will be calculated as if the property was in the next band down.






If you are on a low income you could qualify for Council Tax Benefit. If you receive Income Support, you can apply for a full rebate. If you get Carers Allowance, you may be eligible for extra Council Tax Benefit through the Carer Premium. Single people paying Council Tax and living with someone on a low income can apply for Alternative Maximum Council Tax Benefit (a second adult rebate).


For more details or to challenge a decision contact:


Council Tax Department


London Borough of Croydon, Municipal Offices, Fell Road, Croydon CR9 1BQ

020 8667 8282



Back to Contents Page




Carers Groups


Carers Contactline/Carers Information Service


Courtyard House, 1d Church Road, Croydon CR0 1SG

020 8649 9339


Free confidential advice, information, advocacy and support to all carers in Croydon.



Carers UK


Croydon Carers Centre, 12 Katharine Street, Croydon CR0 1NX

020 8688 7219


Information/advice, telephone helpline, counselling, individual support, support groups, outreach and themed projects, sitting, shopping, newsletter and various therapies.


Croydon Crossroads Ltd


410 Brighton Road, South Croydon CR2 6AN

020 8688 4499


Provides a trained care attendant, allowing the carer free time away from their caring responsibilities.


Back to Contents Page



Children’s Services




Advances in screening and diagnosis have led to many people being aware that their unborn child may be born disabled. However, this is not always the case as many forms of learning disability are not detectable either during pregnancy or for some time after the baby is born.


The usual pattern of contact with health services following delivery involves Midwifery then Health Visitor services and your family GP. If there are any concerns about the child’s health or development, they are often referred to other health professionals for further assessment or advice, such as a paediatrician, physiotherapist, speech and language therapist, or clinical nurse specialist for children with special needs, for example.


Social services are also able to offer advice and support if your child has needs that are not related to their health. They can be contacted at the Initial Contact Service based at Taberner House (020 8686 4433), who will advise if your child is eligible for any type of service or special equipment.


Other agencies and voluntary groups who might be able to offer support and guidance and practical assistance are listed under Local Support Groups & Organisations or National Organisations.


Also, you can phone Croydon Voluntary Action (CVA) to find out more about voluntary and parent-led groups.


020 8684 3862



Crystal Centre for Children’s Services


This is the base for a number of health services for children including audiology, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy. Referrals for assessments can be made by a health professional such as the child’s GP or health visitor.


020 8274 6854



Social Services – for Children with Disabilities


Can be contacted at:

Taberner House, Park Lane, Croydon CR9 2BA

020 8686 4433



Through the Children’s Services Division of Social Services, the Council provides support to promote and safeguard the welfare of children in need.


Section 17 of the Children Act 1989 defines children in need as follows:


·He/she is unlikely to achieve or maintain – or to have the opportunity of achieving or maintaining – a reasonable standard of health or development without the provision for him/her of services by a local authority under this part;


·His/her health or development is likely to be significantly impaired, or further impaired, without the provision of such services;


·He/she is disabled.


The Services for Children with Disabilities comprises an Assessment and Child Care Team, Resource Team and a residential respite unit at Calleydown. Croydon offers a range of services for children/young people with a disability who meet the eligibility criteria.



Who is eligible?


To be eligible for one of the above services, a child/young person must:


·Be living within the borough of Croydon;


·Be under 18 years old;


·Have a permanent and substantial disability and be assessed by a social worker from the Assessment Team of the Services for Children with Disabilities, as being in need of one or more of these services.


Disabilities include learning, physical and multiple disabilities (which may include health needs). It excludes unrelated emotional, behavioural and mental health difficulties. Any child/young person who appears to be eligible will be assessed, but only those who are considered to meet the necessary criteria can be offered support.


Once a child/young person is accepted as eligible, there may be a waiting period because services are allocated according to need and availability.



Services might include one or more of the following:


·Short breaks (home based) where a child/young person visits the carer’s home for a few hours or for an overnight stay


·Domiciliary care where a carer visits the home of the child/young person


·School holiday schemes and a Saturday Scheme


·Calleydown (a local residential unit providing day care and overnight stays)


·Special placements (in cases where none of the above services are appropriate or sufficient)


·Support via an independent agency or Direct Payments



Occupational Therapy Services


Services for Children with Disabilities works in close co-operation with the Croydon Primary Care Trust. If you have a child/young person who has a permanent and substantial disability who requires aids or equipment and/or has a need for adaptations to your home, Health Trust staff will assess the need and organise appropriate services.


Occupational Therapy Services are based at:

47 St James Road, Croydon CR0 2UR

020 8684 4254



Child Protection


If Social Services are told by anyone that a child or young person (from newborn babies to 17 year olds) is at risk of or is actually experiencing significant harm, the law states that they must make enquiries.


Everyone in the community has a responsibility to protect children, and members of the public are encouraged to report an incident if they think a child is at risk. Professionals who work with children – for example teachers, health visitors and doctors – have a duty to report suspected abuse or neglect to Social Services.


Enquiries are then carried out by staff from the Assessment, Child Care, Children’s Disability or Leaving Care & Independence sections, and in some cases they need to work with specially trained police officers. The initial aim of the enquiry is to establish whether a child is suffering or is likely to suffer ‘significant harm’.


If you suspect that a child is at risk contactSocial Services – Children’s Services Division on:


020 8686 4433

Or if it is an emergency phone the Police on:



Other agencies to contact for advice are:




Weston House, 42 Curtain Road, London EC2A 3NH

0800 800 5000




Tanners Lane, Barkingside, Ilford, Essex IG6 1QG

020 8550 8822




Studd Street, London N1 0QW

0800 1111



Children’s Disability Register


What is it for?


The Register is a list of children who have a disability and who receive – or may one day need to use – services from Health, Social Services, Education or voluntary organisations. It helps the Council plan local services for disabled children and young people, eg leisure activities, short breaks, etc, and is a contact point for important milestones such as transition to adult services.


Who can register?


You can register your child if he/she is under 18 years old and has a disability. No one has to register, but parents of all children with a disability are encouraged to as it helps plan services for the future. When you register, you can choose to leave out certain questions if you wish. If you are the parent or guardian of a disabled child you can fill in the registration form. If you are a disabled young person aged 16-18 you can fill it in yourself, or get someone you know to help you.


Who sees the information?


The Register is kept on a computer. It contains statistical information – figures only with no names – and is given to organisations who ask for it. Personal information can be given only to certain people in Health, Education or Social Services who need to know it.


For further information contact:


Register Services, Orchard Hill, Fountain Drive, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 4NN

020 8770 8254



Children’s Information Service provides information about child care providers, childminders, day nurseries, nursery schools, out-of-school care, holiday schemes, and pre-school playgroups.


They can be contacted at:


Children’s Information Service,

10 Katharine Street, Croydon CR9 1JU

0845 1111 100


Croydon Parent Partnership Service


is a statutory educational service for parents/carers and schools as prescribed by the Special Education Needs Code of Practice 2001. They particularly support parents/carers (and those with a legal responsibility) of children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities.


The CPPS aims to provide information and advice that is independent, neutral and confidential on all aspects of Special Educational Needs/Disabilities, the SEN framework and local education policy.It can also help parents/carers to resolve disagreements, and provides information on local mediation, the Disagreement Resolution Service and the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal.


For more information contact:


Croydon Parent Partnership Service

Strand House, Nursery Road, Croydon CR7 8RE

(NB This service may move in the future)

020 8656 6551



Sure Start is an organisation which brings together both statutory and voluntary agency workers, and the local community, to promote and secure healthy development and learning opportunities for young children under four and their families.


It does this by providing a wide range of services in partnership with local parent and community groups, and particularly seeks to engage those families who do not currently access services because they are experiencing difficulties.


For more information contact:


The Programme Manager,

89 London Road, Croydon CR0 2RF

020 8649 8441



Portage and Early Childhood


Portage can begin when a child is a few months old and support can continue until the child enters an educational placement. The Portage Worker visits the child’s home weekly and works with the parent. The Portage checklist is used to establish a baseline of the child’s current abilities.


Portage teaching breaks down tasks and skills into small steps so that they can be made into daily activities and provide appropriate learning activities.


Early childhood support is offered to children who are referred during the year before they are due to enter nursery or reception class. It can provide a block of up to six weekly visits to assess the child and give educational advice to parents, as appropriate. This service can be accessed through the Special Educational Needs Support Service (see below).



Special Educational Needs Support Service (SENSS) is part of the Integrated Support Service consisting of teachers, nursery nurses and specialist teaching assistants who have a wide range of qualifications and experience of working with pupils with special educational needs.


The service can be contacted at:


Davidson Professional Centre, Davidson Road, Croydon CR0 6DD

020 8656 6551



Special Needs Schools in Croydon


·St Nicholas, Old Lodge Lane, Purley CR8 4DN

·Redgates, 489 Purley Way, Croydon CR0 4RG

·Bensham Manor, Ecclesbourne Road, Thornton Heath CR7 7BR

·Priory, Tennison Road, South Norwood SE25 5RR

·The Link, 138 Croydon Rd, Beddington CR0 4PG


Rutherford School – an independent school for children aged 2-12 years with profound and multiple learning difficulties, physical disabilities and complex medical needs.


Contact the Garwood Foundation for more details:

020 8681 0460



Croydon Opportunity Pre-School Group provides pre-school faciliites for children with speical needs and their famlies. They are based at:


South Norwood020 8654 3975


Selsdon020 8651 4760



Croydon Community Childminding Networks


Network Childminders care for children with additional needs and are part of a nationally recognised quality assured scheme approved by the National Child Minding Association (NCMA), the Department of Education and Skills and Ofsted.


Each Childminder accesses further training on an ongoing basis to meet the needs of individual children as well as for their own personal development. They also receive regular visits from their co-ordinator.


These support visits (about every 8-10 weeks) can document a high standard of care, which help reassure parents that the service they receive from a Network Childminder is above the minimum National Standards.


Only childminders who are part of a Network can apply to become accredited and be eligible to draw down Educational Funding for any 3 and 4 year olds in their care.


Network Childminders can access a toy library and sensory room; use the equipment lending scheme and many other resources. They also have their co-ordinator for support and advice, as well as other members of the Early Years Team including Portage.


Outings and other events are held throughout the year giving opportunities to meet other childminders and their children, and are always open to parents.


For more information please contact:


Claire Treacy,

Childminding Networks Development Officer

020 8239 4485


or the Children’s Information Service

0845 1111 100





Crossroads provides a service for children who may not already be receiving a service, and parents/carers can self refer by contacting:


Croydon Crossroads Ltd, 410 Brighton Road, South Croydon CR2 6AN

020 8688 4499



Treetops is a small scale children’s play centre run by Croydon Mencap providing after-school, Saturday and holiday sessions for 4-12 year olds.


Contact the Play Centre Manager directly on:


020 8688 3263


Or the Croydon Mencap Office:

60-61 Leslie Park Road, Croydon CR0 6TP

020 8662 9201


Also, see Leisure as some of these activities provide a break for carers.


Back to Contents Page






If you need a Chiropodist (foot care specialist) you can make the arrangements yourself by contacting them directly; many chiropodists advertise in the local directory.


However, if you do need help, you can either speak to your GP or contact the Chiropody Service at:


12-18 Lennard Road, Croydon

020 8274 6318


020 8274 6319


Transport or home visits can sometimes be arranged.


Back to Contents Page




Colleges and Careers


Connexions is a service providing information, advice and support for all 13-19 year olds.


Young people with Special Educational Needs can continue to receive help from Connexions up to their 25th birthday, should they require it.


The service allows young people to access information, support and practical help by linking up many different agencies and services to help them make important decisions which affect their lives.


Connexions Croydon Centre,

112-114 High Street, Croydon CR0 1ND


Open:Monday to Thursday, 9am – 5pm

Friday, 10.30am – 5pm

020 8401 0301



National Bureau for Students with Disabilities (SKILL) is an organisation which provides opportunities and support for students with disabilities in post-16 education, and training for employment.


0800 328 5050



Croydon College offers part-time and full-time courses for young people and adults with learning disabilities. The college works closely with organisations such as New Directions, Status Employment, the Shaw Trust, etc.


A week-long Skills Link Summer School programme gives prospective students the opportunity to experience college and to discuss suitable education options.


For further information contact:


Croydon College, College Road, Croydon CR9 1DX

020 8686 5700



Carshalton College – also runs courses for students with special needs


Nightingale Road, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 2EJ

020 8544 4444 to What can I study? then Skills for life)


Customer Services Open:Fridays, 8.30am – 4.30pm

Mondays–Thursdays, 8.30am to 7.30 pm



CETS (Continuing Education and Training Service) provides information, advice, guidance and support for adults with learning disabilities who would like to join a CETS course. CETS offers a range of courses particularly designed for adults with a learning disability, many of which are accredited, as well as the opportunity to join in the main programme of courses. The service works closely with group homes and individuals.


If you are new to CETS, contact Learner Support to make an appointment with the Learner Support Co-ordinator who will give guidance about courses, arrange visits, and identify any support needs.


Contact (between 9am–4.30pm):

Learner Support Disability, South Norwood CET Centre, Sandown Road, South NorwoodSE25 4XE

020 8656 4863


Back to Contents Page




Community Learning Disability Team(including Care Management)


The Joint Community Learning Disability Team (JCLDT) is a team of staff from a range of professional backgrounds who support adults with a learning disability, and their carers, living in Croydon.


The team is made up of staff from both Croydon Social Services and Surrey Oaklands NHS Trust working together to ensure people’s needs are met:


Adult Placement Officers, Care Managers, Independent Living Officers, Community Learning Disability Nurses, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Dieticians, Art and Music Therapists, Physiotherapists, Speech and Language Therapists.


The aim of the JCLDT is to ensure that adults with learning disabilities living in Croydon (and those from Croydon living elsewhere) receive the essential health and social services required to maintain their health and live free from abuse, unacceptable risks and neglect of basic needs, in liaison with other professionals.


People are eligible for assessment by the JCLDT if:


1.They are over 18 and a Croydon resident; and


2.The person has a learning disability which was present before the age of 18, as defined by a recognised assessment such as:


a)A psychological assessment;

b)A Statement of Education Needs;

c)Medical diagnosis of condition; and


3.As a result of the learning disability, the person has significant functional restriction in capacity for independent living which may include severe restricted capacity in one of the following activities:


Self care, communication and language, mobility, accessing mainstream services, accessing a support network, social functioning.


To make a referral for any of the services provided by the Team, you can phone or write to:


JCLDT, Rees House, 2 Morland Rd, Croydon CR0 6NA

020 8239 4441/2


An initial assessment will then be arranged to ensure that eligibility criteria for the appropriate services are met, and to identify needs.


If your need is urgent, telephone Taberner House on:


020 8686 4433



Carers’ Assessments


If you provide a substantial and regular amount of care for a relative, partner or friend, or you have parental responsibility for a child with a disability, you have a legal right to request a Carers Assessment.


There are two Acts which you may wish to refer to: The Carers Act 1995 and the Carers and Disabled Children’s Act 2000.See Acts of Parliament section


The Department of Health’s carers website has a wealth of information including the leaflet A Carer’s Guide to a Carers Assessment which can be downloaded in Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Greek Gujarati, Punjabi, Somali, Turkish, Urdu and Vietnamese, as well as English.


For general information on Carers Assessments, visit the website:


If you are a carer and want to have an assessment, contact the JCLDT on:

020 8239 4441/2



Independent Living Fund


If your needs or those of the person you care for have not been fully met after the assessment, it may be possible for Social Services to refer the case to the Independent Living Fund. This national fund pays for extra care for people aged 16 to 65 with very severe disabilities.


0845 601 8815Mon–Thurs, 9am-4.30pm

Friday, 9am–4pm



Older Carers


Advice, support and information for older carers of people who have a learning disability available from:


Christine Rickells, JCLDT (Monday – Wednesday)

Rees House, 2 Morland Road, Croydon CR0 6NA

020 8239 4200


Christine is a Care Manager and arranges assessments, reviews and appropriate services for the person with a learning disability, and reports back to social services management about issues and service needs of older carers.


Local organisations should let her know if they have any issues concerning older carers.



Back to Contents Page




Community Nurses


Community Learning Disability Nurses are members of the Joint Community Learning Disability Team. They provide a specialist nursing service to adults with a learning disability living in the borough.


Examples of the services they offer include:


·Health needs assessments, developing specialist interventions to meet identified health needs and monitor their efficacy;


·Assess behaviour that challenges, design and support the implementation of behavioural guidelines;

·Monitor and support clients with mental health needs;


·Support for parents with learning disabilities;


·Co-facilitate separate groups for men and women about relationships;


·Offer advice, support and education to clients, carers and other professionals.


The Community Nurses accept direct referrals from clients, carers or others. Referral details can be gained from the JCLDT team at:


Joint Community Learning Disability Team

Rees House, 2 Morland Road, Croydon CR0 6NA

020 8239 4441/2.


Back to Contents Page






All organisations – whether private, voluntary or statutory – should have a Complaints Procedure.


If you wish to make a complaint or a suggestion about a particular service, organisation or person, you should ask the organisation concerned for a copy of its Complaints Procedure.


This document will describe how it will deal with your complaint – which could be informal or formal – and will set out specific timescales within which it has to respond. Each organisation has its own procedure.


If after going through the complaints procedure carried out by the organisation you are still not satisfied with the conclusion, you have the right to contact an external body which will be named within the Complaints Procedure.


If your complaint is about Social Services, and you have gone through their complaints procedure, you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can investigate complaints where there has been maladministration such as unreasonable delay, or failure to follow proper procedures. You can do this up to 12 months after the incident.


Contact the Advice Line on:


0845 602 1983


Back to Contents Page






Crusein Croydon


020 8916 0855

For bereavement counselling and support/social groups.


Off the Record – Youth Counselling

72 Queens Road, Croydon CR0 2PR

020 8251 0251


Free counselling for young people aged 14-25 who live, work or study in the Borough of Croydon. Phone to make an appointment. Clients need to be able to engage with the counselling process.


Croydon Drop In

132 Church Street, Croydon CR0 1RF

020 8680 0404


Free confidential counselling for people aged 11–25. Phone for advice and information


The Joint Community Learning Disability Team (JCLDT) can also put you in touch with the appropriate counselling agency.


Contact them on:020 8239 444½


Back to Contents Page




Croydon Mencap


Croydon Mencap is a local society affiliated to national Mencap but is independently run by a Board of Directors. It is a registered charity and raises its own funds. It works with people at a local level providing activities and advice in a variety of ways:


·Benefits and Welfare Advice

·Children’s Play Centre

·Charity Shop

·Daytime Activities

·Saturday Social Club and Sports Club

·Monday Evening Social Club

·Youth Club


A variety of social and fundraising events are organised throughout the year and a bi-monthly Newsletter is sent to all its members.


To contact Croydon Mencap:


Croydon Mencap,

60-61 Leslie Park Road, Croydon CR0 6TP

020 8662 9201


Back to Contents Page




Daytime Activities


Daytime activities in Croydon are currently undergoing many changes, as some large Day Centres are being replaced by smaller Resource Bases and community-based activities.


Resource Bases and Day Centres provide the following:


·Day support for adults with a learning disability

·Community-focused service

·Community Support Workers support individuals to access community opportunities.

·A base for people to meet and talk to a keyworker.


They are based at:


The Peter SylvesterResource Base (9am – 4pm)

11 Bramley Hill, South Croydon CR2 6LX

020 8688 9305


ACA, 90 Central Parade, New Addington CR0 0JB


Heavers Farm Day Centre

122-124 Selhurst Road, South Norwood SE25 6LL

020 8771 1321


Cherry Orchard Day Centre

171 St James’s Road, Croydon CR0 2BY

020 8689 2625


Leslie Park

60-61 Leslie Park Road, Croydon CR0 6TP

020 8662 9201


Based at Croydon Mencap, Leslie Park provides daytime activities for younger aged adults, both on and off site. Referrals through the Joint Community Learning Disability Team.


There are also a number of private providers of daytime activities.


For more information and referral call the Joint Community Learning Disability Team (JCLDT):


020 8239 444½


Back to Contents Page




Dental Care


You can access dental treatment through a local NHS dentist of your choice, but if you have any problems, you might wish to contact one of the special Dental Clinics in Croydon.


There are several clinics across the borough which you can be referred to by first contacting:


Community Dental Services Headquarters,

Thornton Heath Health Centre

61a Gillett Road

Thornton Heath


020 8684 3160


For dental emergencies outside office hours (6.30-10pm) contact Croydent:


020 8401 3443


Back to Contents Page




Direct Payments


What are Direct Payments?


Direct Payments are cash payments that enable people to buy for themselves services that would otherwise be arranged directly by the Social Services Department. With this option, community care service users will have more independence, choice and control over their care arrangement.


Who can have Direct Payments?


Direct Payments can be offered to all people aged 18 and over; this includes unpaid carers, parents/ parental guardians of a disabled child, 16 and 17 year olds with a disability who are:


·Receiving (or about to receive) community care services


·Willing and able to manage such payments (independently or with assistance)


What can Direct Payments be used for?


Direct Payments can be used to purchase personal care or help with domestic tasks inside and outside the home, eg dressing/undressing, having a shower or bath, preparing a meal, doing housework, going shopping, going to college, etc.


At present, Direct Payments cannot be used to purchase equipment or day care services.


Can you get Direct Payments and Services?


Yes, you can have money to buy some help yourself, and still receive other services in the usual way.


If you choose Direct Payments you will be responsible for arranging the services yourself.


·If you choose to employ someone directly to assist you, you will have specific responsibilities as an employer but you will be offered professional advice and support to help you fulfil your obligations.


·If you choose to use a Care Agency to provide all the services you require you will not have to employ your own staff and you will be offered advice when choosing a suitable agency.


·You will need to open a separate bank or building society account into which the payments will be made; keep financial records and submit regular returns to the Council.


You can contact the Direct Payments Support Service who can provide information about direct payments when you are considering the different service options. The Service can assist you in the initial stages and offer support as and when advice, information and training are required.


The Service can be contacted at:


Direct Payments Support Service

CVA, 97 High Street, Thornton Heath CR7 8RY

020 8683 5906


Back to Contents Page




Domestic Violence


f you are a victim of domestic violence and need help and support, the following agencies may be able to help you:


Crime Stoppers has a confidential hotline for members of the public to pass on information anonymously:


0800 555 1111


Domestic Violence Co-ordinator at Taberner House

020 8604 7012


Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Helpline

020 8239 8845


Back to Contents Page






If you are a carer and are suddenly taken ill, you may need immediate support for your son/daughter for whom you are the main carer.


If you find yourself in this kind of situation, contact Taberner House 24 hours a day on:


020 8686 4433

and ask for the Duty Manager, Learning Disability Services


If you are calling out of office hours, ask for the Emergency Duty Team.


If it is a major emergency and you need help immediately, phone the Emergency Services on:




Back to Contents Page






Each Job Centre Plus has a Disability Employment Advisor (DEA) who has experience of meeting the requirements of disabled people seeking employment. The DEA will establish any training and work preparation requirements, as well as identifying potential employers.


The local officers can be contacted at:


Croydon Office

17-21 Dingwall Road, Croydon CR9 2TN

020 8700 8369


Thornton Heath Office

72 High Street, Croydon CR4 8YY

020 8918 5695


Purley Office

24 Whytecliffe Road South, Purley CR8 2YU

020 8700 8269


Other agencies who may be able to help you are:



Status Employment

6 West Way Gardens, Shirley, Croydon CR0 8RA

Contact:Robert Elston

020 8655 3344


Status Employment offers a supported employment service helping people with disabilities to find and retain paid jobs. Time is spent getting to know the person individually before beginning the job search, and help with CVs is provided together with mock-interview practice and attendance at interviews, if required.



3 Imperial Way, Croydon CR0 4RR

Contact:David Wright

020 8255 5468


Crosfield provides paid employment in light industrial work for people with disabilities. Anyone interested in working there needs to be referred by a Disability Employment Advisor based at a Job Centre. For further information phone Crosfield.



The Shaw Trust

95 Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7HR

020 7960 2480

Local Contact, based at Croydon College:

Phil Carter – 020 8633 1554


The Shaw Trust is a national charity that provides training and work opportunities for people who are disadvantaged in the labour market due to disability, ill health or other social circumstances.


New Directions

c/o Cherry Orchard Centre, 171 St James’s Road, Croydon CR0 2BY

020 8689 2625


Back to Contents Page




Eye Testing


If you have difficulty in arranging an Eye Test at your local opticians, you can telephone the Primary Care Trust service on:


020 8274 6333


This service can provide you with details of optician practices who offer a home visiting service.


Alternatively you can contact the Joint Community Learning Disability Team (JCLDT) on:


020 8239 444½


Back to Contents Page




Furniture Projects


If you have any large items of furniture you no longer need, there are several furniture projects operating in Croydon who may be able to help you. They can usually arrange to collect items from you, which they will then sell to raise funds for community projects, or pass on to vulnerable people who may be setting up in their own accommodation.


Cherry Orchard Furniture Project

171 St James’ Road, Croydon CR0 2BY

020 8689 2625


The Community Furniture Project

13a Mayo Road, Croydon CR0 2QP

020 8689 9490


Mind Furniture Project

020 8768 1222


If you have any smaller items to dispose of, charity shops are usually happy to take good quality items for sale in their shops.


Contact Croydon Mencap Charity Shop on:


020 8656 8703


Back to Contents Page





Garwood Foundation

(formerly Croydon Sutton & District Spastics Society)


The Garwood Foundation provides a range of services for both children and adults with disabilities.


These include:


Rutherford School – an independent school for children aged 2-12 years with profound and multiple learning difficulties, physical disabilities and complex medical needs.


The Bramley Hill Centre – a day centre for adults 18+ with severe and multiple disabilites providing them with a place to work and the opportunity to develop their individual skils and abilities.


Jean Garwood House – a residential home for 14 adults with severe and multiple disabilities. Three of the residents share an independent living training flat wich is used as a stepping stone for independent living in the community. Jean Garwood House also provides respite care for one person at a time.


Welfare Support Service – an independent support service for children and adults with disabilities, their families and carers.


The Garwood Foundation,

1a Melville Avenue, South Croydon CR2 7HZ

020 8681 0460


Back to Contents Page






NHS Direct – 24 hour telephone service


0845 4647


NHS Direct is a confidential telephone service which you can phone if you are feeling unwell and need advice from a nurse, or for health advice and information. They can also tell you where to find your nearest doctor, pharmacist, dentist or support group.



NHS Walk-in Centre – 45 High Street, Croydon


020 8666 0555

Mon–Fri, 7am–10pm

Sat, Sun & Bank Holidays 9am–10pm



Primary Care Trust (for community health services)


Knollys House, 17 Addiscombe Rd, Croydon CR0 6SR

020 8274 6000





You need to register with a local GP in order to access basic health care. If you have a problem in doing so, or if you need general advice, contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS):


020 8274 6333


There are three other contact numbers for PALS which you can access if you need help or advice, depending on which service you are using:


020 8401 3210Mayday Hospital


0800 731 2864South London and Maudsley Trust (SLAM)


01372 204191Surrey Oaklands


Learning Disability Nurses can also offer support and advice. See Community Nurses section.






If you have gone into hospital, the Joint Community Learning Disability Team may not know you have been admitted, but social workers at the hospital will liaise with the Team when you are due to leave, should you need ongoing support at home.


People leaving hospital should have a hospital discharge plan which includes:


·The name of a specific member of staff at the hospital who is responsible for checking that the patient is discharged properly.


·Details of any support, help, equipment or adaptations which are to be set up before discharge, and information about who is responsible for their provision.


·Details of any contacts to be made to community health services, eg GP, District Nurse, Social Worker/Care Manager.


If you are a carer of someone being discharged from hospital, you should be given at least 24 hours notice before they are sent home. If you are not happy with the way the person you care for is to be discharged, you can contact the PALS service (numbers above).



Mental Health


Although this Guide is primarily aimed towards people with learning disabilities we know that some people with learning disabilities also experience mental health difficulties at various times in their lives. In the first instance you may want to talk things over with your GP, who should be able to advise you on who else to contact, if necessary.


Or you may choose to seek advice from the Joint Community Learning Disability Team (JCLDT). They may suggest a referral to the Team’s psychiatrist.


Contact the JCLDT on:


020 8239 4441/2


Other useful contacts:


MIND in Croydon

26 Pampisford Road, Croydon

8668 2210


The Mental Health Foundation

Containers House, 9th Floor, 20 Upper Ground, London SE1 9QB

020 7803 1100


TheMental Health Foundationis a leading UK charity working in mental health and learning disability, pioneering research and community projects. It aims to improve the support available for people with mental health issues and learning disabilities.



Sexual Health and Relationships


From time to time you may feel that you need help or support with your personal life or relationships. Talking things over with your friends or family could help, but you may wish to speak to someone privately, outside your immediate circle of friends or family.


If so, you can contact the JCLDT on:


020 8239 4441/2


and they can put you in touch with the most appropriate agency, for example Community Nurses.


They can also offer advice about sexual health screening and family planning.


Also there are some voluntary organisations who may be able to offer you advice or support, depending on your particular need.


A useful website to visit is:


(then go to personal & sexual relationships)


This Department of Health website now incorporates SPOD, which was an organisation providing information and counselling on sex, personal relationships and disability.



Sexual Health Information Line


0800 567 1233





3rd Floor, 24-32 Stephenson Way, London NW1 2HP


This a national organisation providing a range of services to victims and perpetrators of sexual abuse who have learning disabilities. It also provides training and support to those working with them.


Respond Helpline0808 808 0700



Community Continence Advisor can give information and advice, or arrange an assessment.


Parkway Health Centre, Parkway, New Addington, Croydon CR0 0JA

01689 842554


Back to Contents Page






A lot of hotels and rented holiday properties now have facilities for people with disabilities. There are also some who specialise in providing supported holidays and a few are included below:


Trevanion House, Cornwall

Provides a complete package of supported activities for adults with a learning disability


01208 814903


·Variety of day trips and evening activities, suggested and chosen by guests


·Registered with the Commission for Social Care


·Most guests visit us independently and can be met from the station or airport


Bond Hotel, Blackpool

Specialises in holidays for people with special needs, learning and physical disabilities and the elderly


01253 341218


·Level access throughout

·50 bedrooms with level access showers

·Nightly entertainment

·Minibus collection and return service



Bond Holiday Homes


Marton Mere Holiday Village, Blackpool


·Specially designed caravans for people with disabilities, up to 6-berth

·Indoor pool

·Amusement arcade

·Live entertainment every day and evening



Please note that we cannot recommend these holidays. This is for information only.


Holiday Care is a Croydon-based charity providing comprehensive information on a range of holidays and associated issues for people with disabilities, the elderly and people with special care needs.


Holiday Care, 7th Floor, Sunley House, 4 Bedford Park, Croydon CR0 2AP

0845 124 9971


Back to Contents Page







The range of options available in Croydon are summarised below and described in more detail in the publication Leaving Home, Moving On: Housing Options for People with Learning Disabilities in Croydonwhich can be obtained by contacting:



Charles McArdle,

Service Development Manager/Learning Disabilities

020 8239 4362


But how do I find out what is right for me.........?


It is important that you think about what sort of housing you will need (for example, do you want to live on your own or share with other people?) and whether you will need support:


If you think that you will be able to live independently, with the support of your family and friends, then you should get a Housing Application Form from Croydon’s Housing Department so that you register the fact that you need accommodation. You should include any information about having a learning disability on this form as this may mean you are given some priority as being vulnerable under the Housing Act. There are quite long waiting lists for housing but registering as early as possible will help.


To get a form and find out more about your options you can contact:


The Housing Register Team

020 8686 4433 ext. 65412 or 63893


If you feel you will need support then it is important that you have your needs assessed by a care manager from the Joint Community Learning Disability Team. The care manager will work out with you what level of support you will require and what type of housing and support package will best suit your needs, and will also help you to fill in Housing Application Forms etc.


Joint Community Learning Disability Team

Rees House, 2 Morland Road, Croydon CR0 6NA



Duty Team


020 8239 4446/7


The main housing and support options that you may want to choose from are summarised below:


Registered Care (regulated by the Commission for Social Care Inspection)


Registered Care Homes are generally larger than group homes (see below) and can have twenty or more residents, although many are much smaller with typically three to nine residents. Personal care and full board are provided, and there’s usually 24-hour staff cover.


A list of the registered care homes accredited with Croydon Council is available from:


The Social Services Contract Unit


020 686 4433 ext 62807


and the Inspection Reports are available on the Commission for Social Care Inspection web site:

020 8256 6430


In an Adult Placement Scheme (sometimes called ‘adult fostering’), the local authority supports and supervises families who provide a place in their own home, some of which are registered. Someone less disabled may be in supported lodging in an adult placement scheme, where they rent a room or bed-sit in a family home and receive minimal support.


The Croydon Adult Placement Scheme can be contacted on:


020 8686 4433 ext. 63516


Supported Housing takes many forms – it means any type of housing and support which is not a registered care home. Although not inspected and regulated in the same way as registered homes there are systems for checking that these services are safe and of good quality:


·support agencies which provide personal care are registered with and inspected by the Commission for Social care Inspection


·there is a Supporting People Team in each local authority which is responsible for monitoring the quality of supported housing schemes


·the social and health care staff from the local learning disability team continue to support and review people who take up places in supported housing schemes


Group Homes (or shared housing) are usually smaller than registered care homes, with three or four people sharing. Support staff either visit regularly, or are there during the day and sometimes also overnight as well. People who live there have tenancies and may do their own shopping, cooking and housework, with help from staff.


Cluster Units, either on one site (like sheltered housing for older people) or occasionally spread across a neighbourhood. Support staff are usually on hand and there may be shared facilities such as a laundry and communal lounge. This type of housing is often suitable for people who want to live more independently than in a home but still have some support. Flats or bed-sits are self-contained.


Individual Placements/RentingMore people with learning disabilities are now renting properties from local authorities, housing associations, or private landlords and receiving “outreach” support - this means that someone will visit regularly and help with various aspects of daily living. There are also a few companies who specialise in renting to people with learning disabilities. Alternatively, if the family home is rented, your son or daughter may be able to take over the tenancy. Renting is not just an option for less disabled people, as there are several ways in which funding can be obtained for round-the-clock carers.


More information from:


Charles McArdle, Service Development Manager

020 8239 4362


Back to Contents Page





Inspection & Monitoring (CSCI)


Inspections and monitoring are now carried out by CSCI (Commission for Social Care Inspection)


What does it do?


All residential homes are registered with CSCI and are therefore inspected by the Commission on a regular basis. Adult Placement providers are also inspected by CSCI.


The Inspection Reports are available on the Commission for Social Care Inspection web site:


If you are concerned about any aspects of care that either you or someone you know is receiving, you may contact CSCI who will instruct the appropriate local authority to investigate your concern:


020 8256 6430


Back to Contents Page





Interpreting Services


Health Services


The NHS in Croydon provides interpreting services in more than 50 languages, including British Sign Language, for patients who are non-English speaking. This help can be given either over the phone or in person.


If you, or someone you know, needs this service, tell a member of NHS staff and they will make the arrangements.


If you are using the NHS Direct telephone service, tell the person on the line which language you speak, and an interpreter will be connected to the line within a few minutes.


0845 4647


Social Services


If you need help in accessing the services in this Guide, please ask an English-speaking person to contact the Learning Disability Team at Taberner House.


020 8686 4433 / 020 726 6000


Back to Contents Page





Leisure and Sport

If you are going out and about in Croydon and would like to know which shops, restaurants, pubs, etc are ‘disability-friendly’, a good website to visit is:


The Leisure Link Forum meets twice a month at the Town Hall, Katharine Street, Croydon.


Leisure Link aims to support people with learning disabilities to:


·Increase their range of leisure interests

·Participate more fully alongside others

·Have the same opportunities and access to leisure as everyone else.


Leisure Link’s objectives are to:


·Establish the leisure needs of people with learning disabilities and identify gaps and duplication in the existing provision of leisure opportunities;


·Explore difficulties around accessibility and look at ways of overcoming barriers;


·Ensure that people are made aware of leisure opportunities and that information is presented in a way that is easy to read and understand, eg through the newsletter;


·Identify transport, safety and risk issues and explore solutions.


The bi-monthly Leisure Link Newsletter can be accessed online at:


or by contacting the Editor at:


Leisure Link, c/o Cherry Orchard Day Centre, 171 St James’s Road, Croydon CR0 2BY

020 689 2625



Social Clubs


Action Space

For information on a variety of art, music, drama and video activities contact:


020 7209 4289


Croydon Contacts provides supported leisure activities for young people aged 11-18 with special needs. They also have an 18-plus club for adults with learning disabilities. The group is currently in a transitional stage, and hopes to provide other services in the near future.


For more information contact:


Croydon Contacts,

Cornerstone House, 14 Willis Road, Croydon CR0 2XX

020 8665 0984



Croydon Mencap runs clubs for different age groups and abilities:


·Saturday Social Club (twice a month)

·Saturday Sports Club (once a month)

·Evening Social Club (weekly)

·Youth Club (weekly)


For more information contact Croydon Mencap at:


60-61 Leslie Park Road, Croydon CR0 6TP

020 8662 9201



Debbie’s Club


A social club for young adults with learning disabilities, providing music, dance, entertainment, cooking, crafts, games and other activities.


The club is held at St John’s Church, Bensham Manor Rd, Thornton Heath on Wednesday evenings, 7–9pm.


Contact:Myrtle Richards

020 8684 4808



Diamond Riding Centre


Woodmansterne Road, Carshalton SM5 4DT


If you are interested in horse riding, contact the office Monday to Friday, 9am and 5pm. There is a high demand for places so you may be put on a waiting list.


020 8643 7764



Heart n Soul isan arts organisation led by people with learning disabilities. Among other activities, they regularly hold a disco – The Beautiful Octopus Club – at Croydon Clocktower, Katharine Street, Croydon.


Booking Office at the Clocktower – 020 8253 1030


For more information contact:


Heart 'n Soul, The Deptford Albany, Douglas Way,

London SE8 4AG

020 8694 1632



Magpie Dance


Magpie Dance is an inclusive group of dancers with and without learning disabilities who work with artists, giving performances and under-taking dance classes and workshops in and around London. Their aim is to encourage people of all abilities to take a full and integrated part in the artistic life of the community through dance.


If you would like further details about dance classes, workshops or performances, please call:


Avril Hitman020 8467 3331 or

John Cutting020 8657 0558


They now also have a Youth Group targeted at the 16-25 age group.


If you would like more information about the youth group, contact:


David Nurse01245 475770 or

07813 855036(mobile)



The Phab Club

A club for people with physical and learning disabilities.


Dering Place, Croydon CR0 1DT

020 8760 0361


Sports Partnership


The Croydon Sports Partnership promotes and provides sports opportunities for young people and adults with special needs. The Partnership runs beginner, intermediate and advanced swimming clubs and a weekend sports club during term time for young people aged 8–19 years.


During holiday periods, the RAP schemes take place also for young people aged 8–19 years, and these offer the chance to try a wide variety of sports including swimming. For adults there is the opportunity to join established athletics and cycling clubs.


For more information contact:


Pearl Sethna, Sports Development Officer, Disabilities, Croydon Sports Partnership, Croydon Clocktower, Katharine Street, Croydon CR9 1ET

020 8760 5592



Swimming Club


The Enterprise Swimming Club is run for adults with learning disabilities and is held at Purley Swimming Pool on Friday evenings.


Contact:Miss K Prosser

020 8644 4851


Back to Contents Page





Local Support Groups and Organisations


The following are local support groups or Croydon branches of national organisations.


Aspergers Syndrome Support Group (Croydon)

31 Baring Road, Croydon CR0 7DD

020 8662 0184


Meets regularly to share news and views and generally offer support to one another. Meetings often have speakers, and are held at The Link Primary School, 138 Croydon Road, Beddington.



British Red Cross – First Aid Training Courses

0870 170 9110

Croydon venue – 47 Coombe Road, Croydon


Runs a range of First Aid training courses including basic, childcare, workplace, skills update/refresher courses, and training for trainers.



Citizen’s Advice Bureau

Strand House, Zion Road, Thornton Heath CR7 8RG

020 8684 2236


Information and advice service, drop in sessions and some pre-booked appointments.



Croydon Crossroads

410 Brighton Road, South Croydon CR2 6AN

020 8688 4499


Provides respite and short breaks for carers.



Croydon Contacts

Cornerstone House, 14 Willis Road, Croydon CR0 2XX

020 8665 0984


Provides supported leisure services for young people (11–18s) and adults with special needs.



Croydon Mencap

60-61 Leslie Park Road, Croydon CR0 6TP

020 8662 9201


Offers benefits and welfare advice, daytime activities, social clubs, children’s centre and charity shop



Croydon Neighbourhood Care Association (CNCA)

Central Hall, Davidson Lodge, Freemasons Road,

Croydon CR0 6PD

020 8662 1000


CNCA is the umbrella body for local neighbourhood care groups across the borough, each of which is autonomous and provides a variety of services to meet the needs of its local community.



Croydon Playcare

Gingerbread Corner, Grenaby Avenue, Croydon CR0 2EG

8683 3322


Provides inexpensive childcare facilities, including a nursery, breakfast club, after school club and holiday club.



Croydon Voluntary Action

97 High Street, Thornton Heath CR7 8RY

020 8684 3862


CVA is the Council of Voluntary Service for the Borough of Croydon, serving as the umbrella organisation for voluntary and community groups. It provides information, practical services, support and training, and aims to promote and develop effective voluntary action and community activity within the borough.


Open 9am – 5pm



Disability Croydon


St Oswald’s Parish Hall, St Oswald’s Road, Norbury SW16 3SB

020 8764 8822


Provides information, advice and advocacy to people with disabilities in Croydon, including:


·Support for community projects and social enterprises run by people with disabilities;


·An alternative format service – large print, tape, disk or Braille translations;


·Members bi-monthly bulletin giving updates on current disability issues;


·RADAR keys for accessible toilets;


·Professional advocacy;


·Themed open meetings on disability issues;


·Disability equality training and access consultancy;


·Training in assistive computer technology.



Downs Syndrome Support Group

26 West Hill, Sanderstead CR2 0SA

020 8651 6198 – Daphne Jones (Croydon)

020 8642 3720 – Shirley Quemby (South London)



Face to Face

Based at Home Start – 020 8667 0207


Offers a free one-to-one confidential befriending service to parents of children with a disability who are coming to terms with their child’s diagnosis or who are in a crisis. All befrienders are themselves parents of children with a disability, who have been through a training programme.


Open 9am – 4pm




The Garwood Foundation

1a Melville Avenue, South Croydon CR2 7HZ

020 8681 0460


See Garwood Foundation section for details





72 Coxwell Road, Upper Norwood, SE19 3AF

020 8771 0907


Provides child and family support, a drop-in service for parents, 10am – 12noon, and after school sessions.



Home Start

Wallis House, 42 South Park Hill Road, South Croydon CR2 7DU

020 8667 0207


Offers free support, friendship and practical help to families with at least one child under five. Families are visited regularly in their own homes by volunteers who have all had experience of parenting.



Parents in Partnership, Croydon

26 West Hill, Sanderstead CR2 0SA

020 8651 6198


A network of parents of children with special needs, working with all agencies involved with their families.



Parent to Parent

Waterside Centre, 26 Avenue Road, South Norwood SE25 4DX

07976 912915


A support group offering information and support to parents of a child/young person with a disability/special needs, in a friendly relaxed environment. Under-fives welcome. Occasional social events. Phone for details.



Race Equality Partnership Croydon

020 8688 8122


An independent voluntary organisation funded by Croydon Council and the Commission for Racial Equality. It aims to challenge racial discrimination and promote equal opportunity in the borough. If you feel that you have been treated differently or abused because of your race, you can call them for assistance and support.



Shrublands in LeaF House

25 Shrublands Avenue, Shirley CR0 8JD

020 8777 1855


Arranges support services for families with young children.




Sickle Cell/Thalassaemia Centre

316-320 Whitehorse Road, Croydon CR0 2LE

020 8251 7229


Counselling, information, advice, screening and support to clients and their families/carers.





1 Ramsay Court, Church Street, Croydon CR0 1RF

020 8688 5151


Family support services for unsupported parents and their children.



What’s New!

Based at Cornerstone House, 14 Willis Road, Croydon CR0 2XX

Contact:Anita DavidsonMobile: 07976 912 915


Organisations in Croydon linking together to support families with a disabled member. A call to What’s New! will direct you to the most appropriate services.


Back to Contents Page








Mencap is the leading national charity working with and for people with a learning disability and their families and carers. It campaigns for equal rights and greater opportunities, and challenges attitudes and prejudice. It provides advice and support to meet people's needs throughout their lives. It also runs several Mencap Homes throughout the country.


A network of more than 1,000 Local Societies are affiliated to the national body, and are supported at district level by the Community Support Teams.


The regional Community Support Team seeks to improve the daily lives of people with a learning disability by supporting the national campaigns and by developing an active network of local groups and individual members. The team comprises three Support Officers for local groups in London, two District Development Officers and a Gateway Award and Leisure Officer.


To contact Regional Mencap:


Royal Mencap Community Support Team,

1194 London Road, Norbury, London SW16 4DN

020 8765 8400


To contact National Mencap:


Mencap, 123 Golden Lane, London EC1Y 0RT

020 7454 0454



To contact Croydon Mencap:


Croydon Mencap,

60-61 Leslie Park Road, Croydon CR0 6TP

020 8662 9201


See Croydon Mencap section for more information.


Back to Contents Page






National Organisations and Helplines


The following are national charities/organisations, helplines and other useful contacts.


ASBAH (Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus)

42 Park Road, Peterborough PE1 2UQ

01733 555988


Offers advice and information to individuals with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus and their families. It has a network of area advisers covering most of the country and works with around 50 local associations.



Asian Child Protection Helpline

0800 096 7719


A helpline run by the NSPCC



Asian Health Agency

Suite B, Fairfield Works, Fairfield Road, Hounslow TW3 1UZ

020 8538 7703



Aspergers Syndrome

See The National Autistic Society


Asthma UK

Providence House, Providence Place, London N1 0NT

020 7226 2260


Asthma Helpline – 0845 701 0203

Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm



The National Autistic Society

393 City Road, London EC1V 1NG

020 7833 2299


Autism Helpline – 0845 070 4004

Monday to Friday, 10am–4pm


ADHD UK Alliance (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)

c/o Contact a Family, 209-211 City Road, London EC1V 1JN

020 7608 8700


Helpline – 0808 808 3555

Local Co-ordinator: Alison Whyman at Victoria House – 020 8686 0383



British Institute of Learning Disability (BILD)

Campion House, Green Street, Kidderminster,

Worcestershire DY10 1JL

01562 723010


An organisation committed to improving the quality of life for people in the UK with a learning disability.


Carers Advice Line – 0345 573 369

for the cost of a local call


Carers UK

20-25 Glasshouse Yard, London EC1A 4JT

020 7490 8818


Helpline – 0808 808 7777

Wednesdays & Thursdays, 10am–12 noon & 2–4pm



Childline – 0800 1111



The Children’s Trust

Tadworth Court, Tadworth, Surrey KT20 5RU

01737 365000


Provides specialist care for severely disabled children, many of whom have complex health needs.



Contact A Family (CAF)

209-211 City Road, London EC1V 1JN


Helpline – 0808 808 3555


Produces a comprehensive directory of specific conditions, rare disorders and family support groups.


Cruse Helpline – 0870 167 1677

Bereavement counselling


Cystic Fibrosis Trust

11 London Road, Bromley BR1 1BY

020 8464 7211


Helpline – 0845 859 1000


Diabetes UK Helpline – 0845 120 2960


Downs Heart Group – 01525 220379



Downs Syndrome Association

The Langdon Down Centre, 2a Langdon Park, Teddington, Middlesex TW11 9PS

0845 230 0372



The Dyspraxia Foundation

8 West Alley, Hitchin SG5 1EG

01462 454986



Eating Disorders Helpline – 0845 634 1414

Mon-Fri, 8.30am–8.30pm; Sat, 1–4.30pm


Youth Helpline – 0845 634 7650 (18s & under)

Mon-Friday, 4–6.30pm; Sat, 1–4.30pm



Epilepsy Helpline – 01494 601 400



Joseph Rowntree Foundation

The Homestead, 40 Water End, York YO30 6WP

01904 629241


Carries out research in partnership with academic institutions.



King’s Fund

11-13 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0AN

020 7307 2400


The King's Fund is an independent charitable foundation whose goal is to improve health, especially in London.



Leonard Cheshire Foundation

30 Millbank, London SW1P 4QD

020 7802 8200


Residential homes and family support service for people in their own home.




123 Golden Lane, London EC1Y 0RT

020 7454 0454


Mencap Helpline – 0808 808 1111


Mencap – Golden Lane Housing

0161 888 1203


Provides ordinary housing to enable people with learning disabilities to live successfully within the community.



MIND Information Line – 0845 766 0163



National Missing Persons

Helpline – 0500 700 700




Child Protection Helpline – 0808 800 5000



National Music and Disability Information Service (Sound Sense)

Sound Sense, 7 Tavern Street, Stowmarket, Suffolk IP14 1PJ

01449 673 990


Sound Sense is the UK development agency for community music.



National Eczema Society – 0870 241 3604



Parentline Plus – 0808 800 2222


A confidential free helpline for parents/carers.




Public Guardianship Office(formerly the Public Trust Office)

Archway Tower, 2 Junction Road, London N19 5SZ

0845 330 2900


Includes the Court of Protection. Advises on financial affairs of people with a learning disability.



RADAR (Royal National Association for Disability and Rehabilitation)

12 City Forum, 250 City Road, London EC1V 8AF

020 7250 3222


Promotes change by empowering disabled people to achieve their rights and expectations, and by influencing the way disabled people are viewed as members of society.



The Ravenswood Foundation

Ravenswood Village, Nine Mile Ride, Crowthorne, Berkshire RG45 6BQ

01344 755550(Contact David Lonsdale)


A horticultural centre specialising in working with people with learning disabilities.



RNIB (Royal National Institute for the Blind)

105 Judd Street, London WC1H 9NE

020 7388 1266


Helpline – 0845 766 9999



RNID (Royal National Institute for the Deaf)

19-23 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8SL


Textphone – 0808 808 9000


RNID Information Line – 0808 808 0123



Scope (formerly The Spastics Society)

6 Market Road, London N7 9PW

020 7619 7100


Helpline – 0808 800 3333


The national Cerebral Palsy charity



Sickle Cell Society

54 Station Road, London NW10 4UA

020 8961 7795


Helpline – 0800 001 5660



UK Sports Association for People with a Learning Disability (UKSA)

Ground Floor, Leroy House, 436 Essex Road, London N1 3QP

0870 770 2464


UKSA is the national charity supported by UK Sport which co-ordinates, promotes and develops sport for people with learning disabilities at national and international level.



Values Into Action (VIA)

Oxford House, Derbyshire Street, London E2 6HG

020 7729 5436


VIA campaigns for the right of people with learning disabilities to lead ordinary lives in the community. It carries out research, provides information and advice, runs conferences and training for people with learning disabilities.



The Wolfson Centre

Mecklenburgh Square, London WC1N 2AP

020 7837 7618


Independent assessment of communication and mobility needs.


Back to Contents Page




Person Centred Planning (PCP)


What we want to do….


ØGive everyone in Croydon the chance to learn about person-centred approaches and person-centred planning;


ØHelp people develop the skills needed to make person-centred plans;


ØGive people with a learning disability the opportunity and support to develop their own person-centred plan;


ØMake sure that people with a learning disability in Croydon have power and control in their own lives;


ØDevelop a culture where everyone is free to challenge what and how things are done.



How will we do this?


ØThrough the PCP ‘Let’s Do It’ Group, working closely with Croydon’s Learning Disability Partnership;


ØBy providing a varied programme of person-centred training courses for everyone;


ØBy making sure that person-centred approaches and person-centred plans are being talked about and developed in Croydon.



How do I find out more?


ØInformation on PCP training in Croydon can be obtained by contacting Stephanie Cattermole at Social Services Learning and Development Unit on 020 8686 4433 ext. 62965


ØSupport and information on PCP in Croydon can be obtained by contacting Andrew Slegg, who is based at:



Peter Sylvester Centre, 11 Bramley Hill, South Croydon CR2 6LX

Tel:020 8688 9305Fax: 020 8666 0468


Back to Contents Page





Practical Help


A variety of specialist equipment is available if you have difficulty with daily living skills. Many items are free, and available through the occupational or physiotherapy department of the health service.


The Disabled Living Foundation has a helpline which offers advice on what equipment may be needed to enable you to live more independently. It also provides training for health workers and a comprehensive database on what equipment is available:


0845 130 9177



Croydon Staying Put is a Home Improvement Agency for elderly, disabled or vulnerable people. It gives advice on improving or adapting your property to enable you to stay in your own home, and also on safety issues.


They can be contacted through:


Environmental Services, Taberner House, Park Lane, Croydon CR9 3BT

020 8760 5505


BT customers who have a chronic long-term illness or disability may be eligible for BT’s Priority Repair Service, if your telephone is a vital emergency link to family, friends and carers.


The service safeguards your line free-of-charge, and faults are dealt with as a priority – day or night, at weekends or over Bank Holidays.


0800 800 150


Other telephone companies may have similar schemes.



Disability Equipment Register


National register of used disability equipment. Also publishes a monthly subscription magazine to enable people to buy and sell on a one-to-one basis.


01454 318818


Back to Contents Page





Respite (Adult)


In order to access Adult Respite Services provided by Croydon Social Services, you need to contact JCLDT.


See Community Learning Disability Team section.


The options for Respite are:


Overnight respite stays at


Heather Way and Craignish


Domiciliary Support – someone to come and sit in your home, or to take out the person you care for.


Direct Payments – these can be given to the individual for him/her to buy the services that he/she chooses to have, which may not be traditional respite-type services. This has to be agreed through Care Management.


Also, see Leisure as some of these activities provide a break for carers.


You may also self-refer to providers such as Croydon Crossroads and other private respite care providers. Unless funded by Carers’ Grant Funding, you may be expected to pay the cost.


Crossroads provides trained support workers who will either sit with or take out the person you care for in order to give you, the carer, a break.


Currently Crossroads provides short breaks for carers, where a support worker can provide a break of between two hours to two weeks. This service is free to the carer as it is presently funded through the Carers’ Grant.


In April 2005 Croydon Crossroads is working in partnership with McMillan Cancer Relief to provide respite care to carers in situations where the cared for person has a life-limiting illness (not necessarily cancer). You may self-refer to this service.


Croydon Crossroads Ltd,

410 Brighton Road, South Croydon CR2 6AN

020 8688 4499


Back to Contents Page






Surrey and Borders Partnership


Surrey Oaklands House, Coulsdon Road, Caterham CR3 5YA – Tel:01883 383838


Geoffrey Harris House, Coombe Road, Croydon CR0 5RD

Tel: 020 8760 0604    Fax: 020 87605132


Provides day services and social care for people with learning disabilities.

Open 9.30am - 3pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)


Contact the Manager: Rosie Field


Back to Contents Page







The Social Services Transition Team supports young people with disabilities moving from Children’s Services to Adult Services, encouraging a smooth transition into adulthood.


The service works with young people aged 14-24 who meet the criteria for Children with Disabilities Services and Adults with Disabilities Services, ie those who have been through the referral process.


For more information contact (during office hours):


Transition, Services for Children with Disabilities,

3rd Floor, Fell Road, Croydon CR2 9BA

020 8686 4433 ext 63608


Also see section on Colleges and Careers


Back to Contents Page






Transport and Travel


The London Taxicard scheme offers Londoners with a mobility impairment reduced fares in black cabs. To qualify you must have a long term or permanent illness or disability which prevents you from using or significantly limits your use of pubic transport.


The scheme is not available to people who suffer temporary disabilities, for example a broken leg.


The cabs in the scheme carry ramps and are accessible to wheelchair users. The Taxicard may be used for any type of journey, for example shopping, visiting friends or GP appointments. It should not be used for hospital appointments, as the health authority should provide transport for these.


Your Taxicard can be used anytime, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, subject to taxi availability and trip limits. The number of Taxicard trips is currently being reviewed.


For further information contact:


ALG TEC Taxicard, New Zealand House,

80 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4TZ

020 8314 8300 or 020 7484 2929


Freedom Passes


The Freedom Pass allows free travel on public transport in the Greater London area. It is available to people under retirement age who are registered disabled with the local authority.




The Travel Service, Social Services Department, Taberner House, Park Lane Croydon CR9 2BA

020 8686 4433


Rail Travel Assistance


Assistance with travel arrangements, such as checking accessibility, changing platforms, etc.


08457 484950




Croydon Accessible Transport Scheme (CATS)


Voluntary organisation offering minibuses to voluntary and non-profit making organisations. Annual membership is currently £20.




Alan Voder or Rosalyn Jackson for more details


020 8683 1800 or

020 8665 0861



Dial a Ride (South London area)

45 Weir Road, Wimbledon SW19 8UG

020 8879 5023


Provides a pre-booked door-to-door transport service for people who have difficulty using public transport.




This scheme assists disabled people and their families to become more mobile by helping them use the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance.


Contact:0845 456 4566



Blue Badge Scheme


This scheme allows people with severe mobility problems to park nearer to their destination.


To apply, or for further information contact:


The Travel Service, Social Services Department, Taberner House, Park Lane Croydon CR9 2BA

020 8686 4433


Some private taxi cab firms provide a service for people with a disability, such as:



Computer Cabs


Lady Cars

49 Shirley Road, Croydon CR0 7ER

020 8655 1918



For more information on a range of transport issues, visit the Disabled Person’s Transport Advisory Committee website at:


Back to Contents Page






Voluntary Work



The Croydon Volunteer Centre works to promote volunteering in the community, particularly with socially excluded groups.


The Centre aims to:


·Advise potential volunteers and match them up with one of over 400 volunteering opportunities in the borough;


·Give ongoing support to volunteers


·Carry out health checks and offer advice to placement organisations;


·Recruit young people aged 16-24 under its Millennium Volunteers scheme, giving them extra support.


The Centre has a Volunteer Development Officer who can give talks to disadvantaged groups and offer extra support.


Open:Drop-in9.30am – 4.30pm


Appointments Daytime and Tuesday evening



Croydon Volunteer Centre

2a Garnet Road, Thornton Heath CR7 8RD

020 8684 2727


Back to Contents Page






Wills and Legal Issues


It is very important to make a will, but leaving money to someone with a learning disability may change their entitlement to benefits. Seek advice from a solicitor or other agency offering legal advice.


For advice about wills and other legal issues contact:


Mencap Legal Service,

123 Golden Lane, London EC1Y 0RT

020 7454 0454


The Disability Law Service provides free advice on setting up a will or trust for disabled people, their families and carers.


Disability Law Service,

Ground Floor, 39-45 Cavell Street, London E1 2BP

020 7791 9800


Local solicitors who are familiar with drawing up wills for people with learning disabilities and their parents/carers include:


Gower & Stevens

Surrey House, Surrey Street, Croydon CR9 1XZ

Contact:Elizabeth Williams

020 8680 2200


Exclusively Wills Ltd

Varnister House, 43 Robin Hood Way, London SW15 3PW

Contact:Rosemary Slatter

020 8408 0836



Green Dragon House, 64-70 High Street, Croydon CR0 9XN

Contact:Mary Ryan

020 8680 5575


This is for information only; we are unable to recommend particular firms.


Back to Contents Page












Croydon Mencap 2009    Tel: 020 8662 9201
Croydon Mencap 2010    Tel: 020 8662 9201